Monday, October 09, 2006

Background

So I had intended to post this Friday Evening or Saturday, but with the various things I had to do over the weekend along with finishing my sermon for Sunday I never got arround to it.
What I was going to post was a quote from Hosea. The daily lectionary we follow for morning and evening prayer has been going through Hosea. It was reading this quote during morning prayer Friday that stood in the background of my comments on the Military tribunals.
Hose 10:13-14a reads
You have ploughed wickedness, you have reaped injustice, you have eaten the fruit of lies. Because you have trusted in you power and in the multitude of your warriors, therefore the tumult of war shall rise against your people, and all your fortresses shall be destroyed. (The whole reading fore morning prayer can be found here.)
I couldn't help but see this certainly addressing this administration but also those who have similar confidence in the various institutions of our nation a confidence that the prophet says can only properly given to God, and when misplaced leads to injustice. Reading the Hebrew prophets can be interesting and I think does heavily influence the way I approach politics and the state.

powered by performancing firefox

2 comments:

  1. Certainly a thought provoking scripture, in the light of current affairs. I've been reading through quite a few of your old posts, and I find the whole idea of Goth and pastor to be foreign to me. I will be reading your blog with interest!

    I voted for you on BLOG VILLAGE today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are reading and welcome to the Priestly Goth Blog. It is my hope that at least some of what I post here will be thought provoking for people who read. I imagine that for most people the idea of goth and pastor is unexpected even for Goths.
    Thanks for the vote on Blog Village.

    ReplyDelete