Friday, January 04, 2008

Iowa Caucus

Pastor Gavin talks about his involvement with the Iowa Caucus. The caucus is an interesting political and electoral process and on one hand strikes me as a very populist event and at the same time potentially a breading ground for corruption and bullying (but come to think of it that might simply be true of democracy and populism in general).
As most of you probably now know Obama came out on top in the Democratic line up and Huckabee came out on top for the Republicans. I think this is shaping up to be an interesting Election.
Oh and he also tackles the rumors that Obama is a Muslim and/or pretending to be a Christian while secretly a Muslim, here. He links to various sources that debunk this rumor and trace out some of its history. Not that I think it should really matter whether or not he is Christian or Muslim, but it does seem to matter to many and the claim that Obama is Muslim is simply untrue.

3 comments:

  1. The sad thing for me is that it really doesn't matter either. If the views that he holds come from a Muslim faith instead of from a Christian one, then more power to him. But the rumor isn't just that he's Muslim. It's that he's militant Muslim. And people around here (in Iowa) are definitely scared of the idea of a Muslim President of any kind. Now, if Obama was truly a Muslim I would have to argue against him being militant and talk about how much holding a certain faith makes you eligible to be President.

    But when people are believing lies about someone, trying to correct those lies isn't even campaigning or supporting that person in my mind. It is just correcting lies.

    By the way, I've been posting a lot on politics the last few weeks but now that the caucus is over (finally), I'm going to probably shy away from political posts for a while. Politics truly isn't the center of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I did not mean to imply that it mattered to you. Just clarifying for my readers.

    Also, I am glad for the links since I too had heard the rumors new they weren't true but had no sense of where they may have come from and thus how to correct those who may believe them except saying that i know he is a member of a UCC church here in Chicago.

    I know politics are not the center of your life but I have found your posts of late surrounding the Iowa caucus and Obama helpful and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it is true that I've had a lot more readers checking out my blog since I've begun talking politics, so I guess you're not the only one who has found the posts helpful and interesting. I will say that most of us around here are glad that the caucus is over and life can get back to normal. The amount of phone calls and mailings we received was just overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete