Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Some links and Reflection

Catapult's latest issue "Self Diagnosis" is out. Check it out. I found the article A Meditation on Two Doctors Appointmentsparticularly moving, and I think expresses a number of things: the importance of the body in Christian spirituality (and that many forms of Christianity fail to teach this.) as well as expressing what might be called a "postmodern" or "emergent" attitude towards faith, science, medicine and Eastern medicine and meditation. Not that I am particularly enamored of either the term "postmodern" or "emergent", but they are terms used for real phenomena in our current context, and I think this article is a healthy example of both. Well read it for yourself and let me know what you think or leave a comment on the conversation page

Also, I commend the reading of the article Reworking the Recipe also in the current issue of Catapult, explores how we deal with gaps or "missing ingredients in the recipe" in ones faith tradition. The article is addressing some of what I was addressing in my sermon on Sunday. Where I went with the issue of what we might be missing of have forgotten is to look towards catholicity.

Along different subject matter I have been meaning to link to a new blog: Queeresque To give you an idea of the blog its subtitle is the "Burlesque of Gender Deconstruction."

Well that is what I have for now.

1 comment:

  1. I liked that article in Catapult, too, Lawrence. Thanks for pointing it out. With all the medical doctors in my family, and after having shared an apartment with a couple of med students, some may think it ironic that I prefer holistic health approaches over allopathic medicine. Actually, medicine and medical education, today, has become so driven by the money of the pharmaceutical companies that looking for the older natural remedies that doctors used to be taught and teach their patients is more wise than foolish! My grandfather who was a doctor in the early 1900's taught my dad, who taught me, who taught our children to use saline flushes for sinus infections and congestion. The recent re-discovery of this simple procedure by ENT's and allergists cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete