Thursday, July 20, 2006

On not Feeling protestant

So I mentioned in my last post that I wasn't feeling all that Protestant especially after giving the Iconography workshop this past Saturday. The reasons wasn't so much the iconography per se. But around a revelation I had about the 7th Ecumenical council and the Orthodox feast of the Triumph of Orthodoxy as the celebration of the 7th Ecumenical Council. Now since I started writing icons I accepted and found compelling St John of Damascus'' arguments and agreed with the conclusion of the Ecumenical council, but it wasn't until presenting all this to others that the doctrinal and theological importance of the icon really sunk in.
I put forward in brief St. John of Damascus' apology for icons and the connection to the incarnation. The icon as the proclamation of the incarnation. But as I presented the history and the iconoclast controversy I realized that the 7th ecumenical council really did in affirming the possibility of the icon affirmed all previous ecumenical councils and how to some degree the Iconoclasts in the search for an imageless Christianity failed to actually affirm the previous councils. I finally understand how the affirmation of icons and the 7th ecuemnical council really sums up all that had gone before.
So, now what. This Lutheran Pietist can now say without hesitation that he affirms all 7 ecumenical councils. Add to this that much of Hesychiast theology seems to me to be what Lutheran Pietist were trying to articulate and affirm about the faith, it looks like I may be fairly orthodox.
I don't know. No, I am not so much protesting any more.