Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Goth Club on All Hallows Eve

The one thing Kate and I try to do every Halloween is go to the Nocturna Halloween Bash at the Metro, usually in costume, I was not in costume this year, Kate was a Harlequine. There is of course costume contest, which leads me to what I think is a wonderful and very funny observation about a Halloween party at a Goth club. The observation is this: it is at times a little difficult to tell who is in costume and who is simply dressed as a Goth.
On Halloween you have three categories of dress at the club 1) definitely in costume 2)just Goth 3)either too Goth a costume or overdone Goth, but in either case I am not sure that really qualifies as a costume. And for some reason every year three or four people in categories 2 and 3 attempt to enter the costume contest.
In category three there are various iterations: for instance there were a lot of people in wings last night. However they were allso still in their big black boots and PVC or leather skirts and pants. I guess one might argue "I'm a Goth faerie", but you see the problem is that people wear wings to Goth clubs all the time. In fairness they don't often wear wreaths or antennae on their heads, but really not a lot of thought or effort beyond the usual. Then there is the woman in the short plaid skirt, which could be some iteration of a school girl costume. But common people if it's red plaid or red and black plaid with black socks and black heels or boots, I am sure I have seen you wearing almost that exact same outfit when you are not in costume. Lastly are the various white painted faces with black around the eyes, and the top hat and then dressed in black, or just other club wear (this is kind of the masculine version of the Goth schoolgirl look) But really haven't I seen you in that makeup when it wasn't Halloween, and I know you wear that top hat most of the time. Okay so you don't blacken your eye sockets usually, but admit it if you really wanted to you could pull that makeup off any Goth night of the week.

So, If you for some reason happen to need to judge a Goth Halloween contest, possibly not recommended for the faint of heart (Ask Scary Lady Sarah this is not an easy task), here are some pointers for sorting out the not costume and the sort of costume but not really a costume, from the truly costumed Goth. First wings, white make up, top hats, coats with tails, big boots, plaid skirts, chains, and medieval or Edwardian clothing, are common everyday Goth wear, simply wearing these items does not qualify as a costume for Goths. Borderline cases possibly allowable in the contest but should be quickly eliminated for lack of effort: things like, a wonderful black and deep burgundy medieval gown (something you could find any night at a Goth club) but with a long blond wig, not a costume that is pushing the envelope (Though, it is very possible that the wearer of said costume wouldn't be caught dead in a medieval gown any other time but Halloween, she is perhaps more fetish or punk Goth in her usual dress). Worse then this, in my opinion, is the "evil schoolgirl" because really add fishnets, or a bondage belt and take off the devil horns or the little read bows out of her hair and she's wearing pretty much what she usually wears out to the club. Also, Don't be fooled by the guy in the ghoulish makeup top hat and coat tails. You might be tempted to think Dr. Jekyl, or a ghoul,(and he may attempt to convince you of either of those) but in all likely hood while he doesn't usually put that much into his makeup, he's basically just made himself slightly more ghoulish for Halloween. But it's not a costume for a Goth, I am sorry. Above all do not be fooled by the fairy wings, even if accompanied by antenae and or wreaths, be assured the fairy wings are worn on more than just Halloween, sans the antenae or wreaths on the head of course, apart from Halloween that would be just silly, now wouldn't it!
Now too the uninitiated this may all seem odd and ridiculous, but really the ambiguity around costume at a Goth Halloween party is one of the reasons I enjoy being Goth, our dress is to some extent always costume. It is why my Goth wife has as her e-mail signature the Vivian Westwood quote- "When in doubt overdress." Which means when a Goth really wants to dress in costume you get some amazing and inventive costumes, and this fact made Scary Lady Sarah's job all that more difficult in choosing finalists for last nights costume party.

9 comments:

  1. Last night in Albert City, IA (population < 750) a theme for the Jr. High students going around was goth. I was sitting out serving hot cider for our church along one of the main trick-or-treat avenues. Jr. High seems kinda old to be trick-or-treating, but there's not much else someone can do so a number were out.
    When I asked about the goth theme that so many of them were going with, the answer, usually by someone who wasn't following the theme, involved some comment about how they didn't want to buy a costume so they just wore what they already had. I got the impression that some of these kids saw themselves as goth, though I would never think of them as such if I normally saw them (not trying to make a judgement statement here, just commenting on what I see). Their "goth" costumes consisted of black jeans, a black t-shirt, a black coat (it was cold) and some black make-up on the face. They accessorized with some silver chains in the pockets and one guy had some net stockings he was using as gloves. Not terribly creative and not terribly goth, but they made due with what they had.
    Larry, my question for you is this: how urban is the goth culture? and how does someone in a small rural town connect with the goth culture if their only experience of it is what they see on TV and in the movies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting observations, and good questions.
    First, I have never quite understood the Goth as primarily a jr. high and high school thing. When I was in jr. high, I dont' recall anyone identifying with any pop subculture. In Hihg school there were punks, goths and heavy metalers, but most of us again didn't identify as anything.
    For me I must admit being Goth is part of being urban/suburban. I came to identify as goth through the urban club scene.
    I am not sure what it would mean to be goth without a goth club or goth club night.
    However, the "costume" you describe is not much different from what I wore to clubs the first year or so of going to Goth clubs in LA. It takes a little while to get the feel of Goth and the ways in which the aesthetic works and then how that aesthetic fits with your own expression. I'd imagine that would be very difficutl for jr highers in any context but doubly so perhaps distanced from any live examples. I imagine their aren't any 30 or 40 year old Goths around town.
    I'll give this some more thought there seems to be something here, or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry,
    I'm thinking that some of the kids were early high school, though the bulk of them were jr. high. There was definitely a theme going on and they were definitely dressing up for halloween, but it seems there were some that did connect to a "Goth" mindset (whatever that means).
    As for adult Goths in our town... well, I'm the closest there is and you know how Goth I'm not! But, I'm probably one of the only adults in the town (if not the only) who wouldn't turn the other way and run if they saw people dressed up in Gothic attire and might even have a conversation with them. Lisa tells me that one of the kids (I'm not sure which one) went home and told his mom that there was this "cool" guy dressed up as Robin Hood serving cider for his church on a street corner (that would be me). I stood out to him because I was asking questions about their costumes and I even stood up for a couple guys who were being made fun of by some girls who were with them. Oddly enough, it seemed that only guys were doing the Goth look and the girls who were with them did other costumes instead. This makes sense to me cause I'm pretty sure girls wouldn't be moving towards a Gothic attitude in jr high yet.
    Anyway, I know the Gothic scene is a hard one to classify and I guess I was just surprised to see it show up in small town Iowa. I agree that it is hard to picture a jr high student joining a subculture... we usually don't head that way until high school and the high school version is usually quite different than what would be found in the Goth club scene (I would guess). Perhaps this is like how high school poetry is quite different than adult poetry... it can be extremely earnest and at the same time come across as quite shallow. Perhaps today's high school youth are more Emo than Goth.
    Anyway... thanks for responding to my earlier comments and questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am gonna share and "side" with Gavin to some degree. The Goth thing where I grew up (rural VA) was purely an adolescent rebellion thing...and may have carried on for some into college at VCU (the local art school)...but it was something that was considered a phase or faddish.

    Meeting you, of course, has shifted that definition for me. But it has been interesting to be in the North Shore and meet the kids who are Goth because it is an act of rebellion against the white suburban mecca of Wilmette. They are an angry and bitter lot.

    That's what I have for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tripp ,
    Tripp are there really sides here? I don't think this is an argument yet.
    Tripp and Gavin,
    I am going to go out on a limb here and perhaps start an argument. ;-)
    Perhaps the rural and urban/suburban teen Goth is prasitic upon a larger (and no less rebelious mind you) club and young adult (though not exclusively, though I admit it is only the few of us who continue on into 30 and 40 because we contine to enjoy the Goth scene) urban cosmopolitan "sub-culture" centered on a particular set of aesthetics that weave together Punk rebellion and anarchy an enjoyment of anachronism, the theme of mortality, and a dash of fetish. The primary midium of communicating this aesthetic is music, though not of a consistent style, as we all know stylistically there is no commonality between Dead Can Dance, Sisters of Mercy and VNV Nation, And if you throw in David Bowie into the question well to unify the goth music style is a absolute lost cause.
    In the end the fadistic and phase aspect of Goth is a novices interaction with a larger sub-culture he or she has no means to enter into and understand (I am oversating for emphasis), for some it never becomes something that truely speaks to them, it never quite takes root, perhaps because it was mere rebelion, unconcerned for the thoughtful aesthetic aspects of Goth. But a few it goes beyond high school and colege, some even perhaps blend back in eventually and then Nick Cave or Dead Can Dance there they are in all their Goth glory for the concert.
    And you my friend Tripp have found a way to be goth in the trappings of ecentric southern gentleman pastor in Chicago with an Irish Band, and love of liturgy and vestments. You may have phased out the outer everyday garments but Goth still clings to you like a fog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tripp,
    I just realized that the last bit of my last comment might read a bit harsh with out this smiley ;-). I was teasing because at times the Goth comes out. You are one of two "post" Goths I know and both of you when I get you talking about the Goth scene get a glint in your eye and start regaling me with stories. And you still love to swoosh about in long coats and Garments. You don't have a Geneva Gown and a Roman Cassock for nothing. ;-)
    You may have left Goth, but Goth hasn't completely left you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am Goth. It is true.

    I am trying to figure out how to get some good boots to wear with the kilt and coattails. Sigh.

    I love Goth. I do. And the Southern Eccentric spin is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One word, Brother Tripp:

    ZAPPO'S !!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your blog. Next year, I'm having masked judges for the contest who will be merciless! :)

    ~SLS~
    (old goth)
    ;)

    ReplyDelete