Thursday, November 08, 2007

Vampires? And no I am not late for Halloween, just Goth

In late September or so I recieved an e-mail from a Paul Bibeau. I do not know sucha person so at first I thought it was junk mail and sent it to my junk-mail folder, but then I was curious so I opened the e-mail. What I discovered was that Paul Bibeau is an author and journalist who was asking me to review his new book on Dracula and Vampires, Sundays with Vlad: From Pennsylvania to Transylvania, One Man's quest to live in the world of the Undead. Being Goth I was skeptical. But I followed the link to the books web page, and the writing of the excerpt didn't suck, so I thought what the hell. And also I was intrigued though I feared the worst. You see in his e-mail he mentioned both "Goth" and "Christian" separately but it seemed deliberately to entice me to read and review his book. Let us just say I am not terribly sanguine about journalists getting much right about either the complexities of the Goth scene or of Christianity.
I replied to Bibeau that I would be interested in reviewing his book here on my blog. And Sundays with Vlad came in the mail a few weeks ago, and I finished it on Monday. I am working on the review now, this is not the review (Just sort of an announcement that a review is coming). As a sort of sneak preview I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by the book and its treatment of its subject matter and sub-categories. My worst fears about the book were not realized, and I both found the book enjoyable and informative. Well that is it for now but hopefully I will have the review out in a few days

5 comments:

  1. fenismp3,
    that is a little cryptic. What is very good?
    Thanks though for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry,

    I look forward to your review. I heard Paul Bibeau on NPR on Talk of the Nation around Halloween, and it seemed like an interesting book.

    It did seem like he knew what he was talking about as people asked him about a number of different things and he jumped right into what they were talking about with no problem.

    I'm curious, how did he come across you in looking for a review? Did he surf across your blog or what? Also, was the email asking you to review a standard form or did it seem like it was written specifically with you in mind? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The e-mail he sent did not say how he came across my blog. It did mention hoping I would put the review "on my site".
    The e-mail seemed somewhere between a standard generalized form and one specifically with me in mind. Though it could have been a standard form edited with me and my blog in mind. It was hard to tell, it was really a very brief e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pity it comes too late for the Halloween synchroblog!

    ReplyDelete