Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Icon for Wicker Park Grace completed

Here is the icon Virgin of Tenderness. It is for the church Wicker Park Grace.
Mother of God of Tenderness at Wicker Park Grace
I had intended to finish and deliver it before fits Advent but then I got sick. I think this is the longest Ihave taken to finish an icon. It was begun as part of an iconography workshop I gave at Wicker Park Grace the summer of 2006. Then Nanette and some of the members of Wicker Pakr Grace worked on the icon in the fall and then winter spring 2007.
I brought it back to my studio this past August. This is how it looked when I brought it to my studio.
Icon workshop highlight stage
Bellow are some of the stages the icon went through in finally completing it.
P1010030
Wicker Park Virgin and child highlights
Our Lady of Tenderness

2 comments:

  1. Very nice!

    I didn't realize they used the Nomen Sacrum form for Mary. That's very interesting.

    A couple of weeks ago I was in Champaign at the Catholic Worker house, they have a portrait of Dorothy Day done icon-style. It even had Hagia Dorothea written on it in the same lettering style as for saints. It was pretty neat, and very interesting also since she isn't formally a saint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! i remember that from this summer. and i remember loving it immedietely. i can't believe how great it turned out. so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete